Marketing automation is the process of using software to complete repetitive marketing tasks designed to nurture sales leads, personalize marketing messages and content and in the process. By automating many of these tasks, users can more effectively send the right message to the right user at the right time. This saves marketers’ time, money and effort.
To help you understand the importance of marketing automation, here’s a collection of lead generation statistics that testify to the value of implementation:
- 28% of marketers saw an increase in revenue per sale attributable to marketing automation – Chief Marketer
- 75% of companies using marketing automation see ROI within 12 months, 44% within 6 months – Focus Research
- Marketing automation drives a 14.5% increase in sales productivity and a 12.2% reduction in marketing overhead – Nucleus Research
- 70% companies declare that marketing automation met or exceeded ROI expectations – Focus Research
- Companies using marketing automation for nurturing experience a 451% increase in qualified leads – The Annuitas Group
- 350% return on investment and 100% annual revenue growth while saving $400K and generating $2MM in incremental gross revenue – Acteva
- Marketing automation provides 225% increase in prospect volume that convert to sales opportunities – ShipServ
- Marketing automation reduces ignored leads from 80% to 25% – Bulldog Solutions
- Companies that automate lead management see over 10% increase in revenue in 6-9 months – Gartner Research
- 47% of marketing automation-nurtured leads make larger purchases than non-nurtured leads – The Annuitas Group
- Companies achieve a 15% savings on creative productions with marketing automation – Gartner Research
- Marketing automation-generated personalized emails improve click-through rates by 14% and conversion rates over 10% – The Aberdeen Group
Truth is in the numbers
Independent organizations are reporting some very impressive results from companies that are implementing marketing automation.
According to Ascend2’s 2016 Marketing Automation Trends survey, 71% of companies use marketing automation. Most of the companies that aren’t using it plan to do so in the foreseeable future.
On average, 49% of companies are currently using Marketing Automation. With more than half of B2B companies (55%) adopting the technology. Emailmonday
Marketing Automation drives a 14.5% increase in sales productivity. Proving the effectiveness of marketing automation, Nucleus Research conducted a study that revealed sales productivity grew by 14.5% when automation software was used. And this isn’t at the cost of increased resources, but in fact the opposite – the same report also found that companies using automation enjoyed an average 12.2% reduction in marketing overheads.
63% of companies outgrowing their competitors are using automation. Online competition will always be tough, but with automation, Lenskold’s Lead Generation Marketing Effectiveness Study has shown that companies can have the edge. Of the companies that are growing larger than their competitors, 63% utilize automation in their marketing strategies.
Nearly two thirds of companies surveyed (63%) expect to realize the benefits of their marketing automation system within six months of implementation. Ascend2 Marketing Automations Trends Survey
Let’s have a look at a quick case study to see how some of these marketing automation numbers translate into business for Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters increased revenue from marketing leads by 175%
Thomson Reuters is a good example of a business that used marketing automation to improve its targeted messaging. Email marketing was producing a high number of leads but not all were of the highest quality, so sales had begun running their own lead generation activities.
Marketing automation technology enabled Thomson Reuters to realign the sales and marketing teams, improve segmentation and targeting through a system of lead scoring, and create ideal customer profiles.
As a result of using the new software:
- The number of leads sent to sales increased by 23%.
- Lead conversion time dropped by 72%.
- The amount of revenue attributed to marketing leads increased by 175%.
Good marketing has the ability to set you apart from your competition. But it can be hard to keep up with what tactics work and which ones don’t. And even when you do, it’s hard to focus on all of them at once. You don’t always have the time or energy to do it.
Thankfully, marketing automation tools exist to make marketing easier for you and your team. By automating, you can spend your time and attention focusing on other efforts that will increase your company’s success.
If you are not using a marketing automation platform then please consider SmartDesk. Our team can help guide you through the setup and ongoing support you will need to succeed.
If you are using another platform contact us today to do a cost and features comparison. We would love to have an opportunity to show you what we can do for you.